The architect for the church was James Pigott Pritchett, who designed the railway station, and construction was carried out from 1834 to 1836. To keep costs down during construction the bricks used were from the previous church on the site. In 1879 a choir vestry was added. In 1908 an organ was installed by local builder Conacher and Co., and the organ was restored in 1984 by Wood’s of Huddersfield. Maintenance work and additions have continued since the 1920s. The church was one of the venues for the first known music festival in Huddersfield in the early nineteenth century.4 The current choir consists of around 20 members, and has close links with the University of Huddersfield’s music department. The choir also performs not only in other local churches, but also nationally.
Strolling past the church today you might hear the church tower’s peal of ten bells being rung to call people to worship and to mark weddings. Inside, music plays a key part in Sunday worship, with singing supported by the church organ and a 20-strong choir, led by Choral Director Richard Quarmby.